Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Walk of Shame

For some reason, I cannot change my font and color on this posting, so no fun colors today. Sorry everyone.

Anyway, I really am only writing this blog because I am thinking of where I was at this time yesterday (that would be 7:13 a.m. precisely) and laughing out loud to myself, unless you count Riley, who just gives me a look like I'm completely crazy any time I make an audible noise. He doesn't count.

A few weeks ago, Joe's car would not start, and because we have been putting dollar after dollar into keeping this car running, we decided it was not worth fixing anymore and are now down to one car. (We have an interested buyer in Joe's car, by the way, so keep that in your prayers!) Because of this, Joe has been picking me up at work and dropping me off at home before he goes to work. If I am not working, I will usually just drop him off myself so I can have the car for the day. Yesterday, however, he was dropping me off at home because I had to work that night so I was just going to sleep all day anyway.

A few minutes before he picked me up from work, I called him to ask him to please leave the door unlocked as I had left my keys at home. He said he would and we hung up. I was so glad I didn't have to walk home that morning because I had been feeling really sick all night and was just ready to crash. A warm bed and some strong pain medication were calling my name.

Joe picked me up and brought me back to the apartment. A garbage truck followed us into the complex and was waiting for the car to move, so I said my goodbyes quickly and ran to the door. I jiggled the knob and it was LOCKED. I ran back to the parking lot and Joe had just sped off. I then ran to the back of our apartment building because there is a road Joe takes to one of his jobs that winds around back there. Unfortunately, that was not the job he was going to yesterday, so he went a different direction. I then checked the patio door. That was locked, too. By this time, Riley had heard the commotion I was making and starting barking at me. I burst into tears. I had no phone to call my husband and no keys to get into the apartment. I could've waited until the apartment manager came in, but she wouldn't have been in until 8. Not wanting to wait an hour and a half on my cold patio for this to happen, I began the walk of shame to find a pay phone.

If anyone has tried to find a pay phone in the last, oh, several years, they may have noticed that there aren't many left due to the rise of the cell phone. Yesterday was my day to find this out. I had not stopped crying earlier and upon realizing that there was no pay phone to be found, I cried even harder. Needless to say, I walked all the way back to work and called Joe from there to come and let me into the apartment. He came and got me at 7:13.

That was my adventure for the week. Oh, and I broke a lab instrument. What a boring life I lead!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Um, I would say your life is anything but boring... especially with that story!! I mean, Satan didn't try to buy your couch or anything (see my blog), but still....

Unknown said...

A good idea might be to consider always taking your phone and keys to work w/you. :) I've learned the serious hard way by being locked out w/3 little kids, being locked out of work, and yes, many eventes like taht. It is a good idea to learn the lesson FAST :) I'm sorry, but I DID have to laugh! You wrote it out humorously

Kim said...

Oh, poor thing! That stinks a lot. And believe me, I get the whole bursting into tears thing.

I am pumped about Monday!